APEX welcomes letter papers with high scientific quality and strong impact to current applied physics research. The journal publishes papers that significantly contribute to advancements in the applications of physical principles as well as in the understanding of physics in view of particular applications in mind. It is very important to ensure that the content of your paper fits well with the scope and policy of the journal. Papers that do not meet these standards will be rejected. Before preparing your manuscript, you are advised to read this Submission Guideline as well as the descriptions in About APEX and Editorial Policy.
As a letter journal, APEX publishes original papers exhibiting timeliness and sufficiently strong impact in the relevant fields and society to merit priority handling in the review and publication processes. You are recommended to abide by this criterion of the journal in preparing your manuscript. To understand what the reviewer looks for in your paper, it may be useful to read the Reviewer Guideline for reference.
As a basic rule of scientific publication, a manuscript to be submitted to the journal should be original. A manuscript having essentially the same content as what was or will be published elsewhere will not be considered for publication in APEX. On submission of manuscripts, please pay careful attention to the following:
- Manuscripts should not have been published elsewhere.
- Duplicate submission is unethical. Do not submit manuscripts that have been accepted or are under active consideration for publication elsewhere.
- The journal may accept a paper that has appeared in a similar form in publications not available to the general public, such as conference books for on-site use, internal reports, and abstracts for international conferences, but the author(s) must cite the previous publication in the reference section of the manuscript and also must provide at the time of manuscript submission a cover letter stating the previous publication with reprint(s) attached.
The authors are requested to read also the Ethical Policy to avoid ethical violation.
When submitting a manuscript, please follow the requirements of content, length limit, English presentation, and style recommendation as stated below.
- The maximum length is four printed pages, including tables and figures (about 4120 words).
- Abstract of no more than 100 words should be provided.
- A Letter should not be divided into sections.
- Letters should cover all references which are appropriate and adequate to the work. Typical number of references for a Letter is approximately 20.
- Full color printing for figures is without extra charge.
- Manuscripts should be written in clear and correct English. Manuscripts will be returned to the authors without review if the English presentation is unacceptable.
Comments and Replies:
- Exchange of comments and replies on papers previously published in APEX is available.
- Abstract is not necessary.
- The maximum length for comments or replies is two printed pages. (about 2060 words).
- Errata announce the corrections made to published papers and paper retraction.
- The length should be within one printed page.
Papers should be submitted via the web-based editorial system. The authors should prepare the following items before submission, and then follow the instructions on the Web submission page.
- MS Word (*.doc or *.docx) or LaTeX file; a MS Word (*.doc or *.docx) which must include tables and figures, and a LaTeX source file together with figure files. Please refer to the “Instructions for Preparation of Manuscript” for the required format.
- Agreement Form for Copyright Transfer and for Publication Charge Payment: This form, signed by the author, should be sent to the Editorial Office by fax at the time of paper submission. Papers without this agreement will not be published.
- List of recommended reviewers: For rapid and fair reviewing, authors are strongly encouraged to suggest several experts whom they consider particularly suited to review their paper. This recommendation would be very helpful for the editor to speed-up the review process particularly when the work is in an interdisciplinary research area. The editor is, however, not constrained to select a reviewer from that list.
- Reference materials, if any
- Supplementary data attachment will enhance a reader’s understanding of the article but is not essential to comprehension of the main results of the published article. Supplementary data attachment typically consist of multimedia files of video clips or animations and items including tables of raw or analyzed data, parameters in calculations, derivations of equations, computer codes, sample preparation, extra figures and so on.
- Supplementary data must be submitted at the same time as the main manuscript for peer review. It cannot be altered or replaced after the article has been accepted for publication. It should not be used to avoid a length limit, and a short article accompanied by lengthy supplementary data is not appropriate. Supplementary data should not accompany Comments, Replies, or Errata.
- The supplementary data is referred to in the main manuscript where necessary, for example as “(see supplementary data)”.
- The file size of supplementary data should not exceed 3 MB, unless more is required to show the work appropriately. Use popular file format for a multimedia file so that it can easily be accessed by the reader (including the editors and the reviewers). The usage of the following file formats is recommended:
*.avi, *.flv, *.mov, *.mp3, *.mp4, *.mpeg, *.mpg, *.pdf, *.qt, *.rm, *.wav, *.wmv
- The author should take full responsibility for both preparation and contents of supplementary data. All questions and comments on supplementary data should be addressed to the corresponding author of the article. Supplementary data is covered under the same copyright as the associated published article.
- Supplementary data should be reviewed together with the manuscript since it will be attached to the article if accepted. Reference items are used only for reviewing process.