JJAP Conf. Proc. 1, 011004 (2013) doi:10.7567/JJAPCP.1.011004
Tempo-Spatial Change of Cellular Stiffness and Geometry in the Process of Developing Epithelial Cell–Cell Adhesion Measured by Atomic Force Microscopy
- Faculty of Advanced Life Sciences, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan
- Received January 15, 2013
- PDF (1.3 MB) |
For sheet-like tissue, mechanical strength at cell–cell adhesion is important. However, it is unclear how long the mechanical strength is constructed. To clarify temporal change of the strength, we measured elasticity of epithelial cells during cellular migration to cover a vacancy by atomic force microscopy. Immediately after the construction of cell–cell contact, elasticity was low. However, elasticity increased following $90$ min. Time-lapse observation of cellular morphology revealed that cells became spindle-shaped after the construction of cell–cell contact and then became round. The changes in elasticity and morphology would be multi-cellular dynamics in the epithelial wound healing process.
Content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
- 1 C. Ounkomol, S. Yamada, and V. Heinrich: Biophys. J. 99 (2010) L100.
- 2 B. Angres, A. Barth, and W. J. Nelson: J. Cell Biol. 134 (1996) 549.
- 3 M. Radmacher, M. Fritz, C. M. Kacher, J. P. Cleveland, and P. K. Hansma: Biophys. J. 70 (1996) 556.
- 4 E. A-Hassan, W. F. Heinz, M. D. Antonik, N. P. D’Costa, S. Nageswaran, C.-A. Schoenenberger, and J. H. Hoh: Biophys. J. 74 (1998) 1564.
- 5 T. Mizutani, H. Haga, K. Nemoto, and K. Kawabata: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) 4525.
- 6 T. Mizutani, H. Haga, and K. Kawabata: Acta Biomater. 3 (2007) 485.
- 7 M. Poujade, E. Grasland-Mongrain, A. Hertzog, J. Jouanneau, P. Chavrier, B. Ladoux, A. Buguin, and P. Silberzan: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104 (2007) 15988.
- 8 H. Haga, S. Sasaki, K. Kawabata, E. Ito, T. Ushiki, and T. Sambongi: Ultramicroscopy 82 (2000) 253.
- 9 H. Hertz: J. Reine Angew. Math. 92 (1881) 156.
- 10 S. Tsukita, S. Tsukita, A. Nagafuchi, and S. Yonemura: Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 4 (1992) 834.
- 11 C. L. Adams, W. J. Nelson, and S. J. Smith: J. Cell Biol. 135 (1996) 1899.
- 12 C. L. Adams, Y. T. Chen, S. J. Smith, and W. J. Nelson: J. Cell Biol. 142 (1998) 1105.