JJAP Conf. Proc. 2, 011003 (2014) doi:10.7567/JJAPCP.2.011003
Positronium bubble oscillation in room temperature ionic liquids
- 1Nuclear Science and Engineering Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Tokai, Ibaraki 319-1195, Japan
- 2Institute of Applied Beam Science Graduate School of Science & Engineering, Ibaraki University, Hitachi, Ibaraki 316-8511, Japan
- Received May 30, 2014
- PDF (515 KB) |
Positronium bubble oscillation before the stabilization of the bubble was successfully observed by the change of the triplet Ps (ortho-Ps) pick-off annihilation rate in a room temperature ionic liquid, N,N,N-trimethyl-N-propylammonium bis(trifluoromethanesulfonyl)imide (TMPA-TFSI). It was reported that the Ps bubble stabilization in TMPA-TFSI took more than 500 ps. For materials having Ps formation, singlet Ps (para-Ps) gives the fastest annihilation mean lifetime of about 125 ps. Although it is intrinsic annihilation, the Ps bubble oscillation affects the para-Ps annihilation rate. The oscillation on the ortho-Ps pick-off annihilation was expected to appear at positron ages older than about 400 ps after the para-Ps annihilation fraction becomes small enough. An oscillation with 5.85 GHz frequency of the ortho-Ps pick-off annihilation rate was successfully observed at the positron ages older than 500 ps in 25 °C TMPA-TFSI.
Content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
- 1 R. A. Ferrell, Phys. Rev. 108, 167 (1957).
- 2 S. J. Tao, J. Chem. Phys. 56, 5499 (1972).
- 3 M. Eldrup, D. Lightbody, and J. N. Sherwood, Chem. Phys. 63, 51 (1981).
- 4 K. Ito, H. Nakanishi, and Y. Ujihira, J. Phys. Chem. B 103, 4555 (1999).
- 5 K. Wada, F. Saito, N. Shinohara, and T. Hyodo, Eur. Phys. J. D 66, 108 (2012).
- 6 Y. Komuro, T. Hirade, R. Suzuki, T. Ohdaira, and M. Muramatsu, Radiat. Phys. Chem. 76, 330 (2007).
- 7 N. Suzuki, T. Hirade, F. Saito, and T. Hyodo, Radiat. Phys. Chem. 68, 647 (2003).
- 8 T. Hirade, N. Suzuki, F. Saito, and T. Hyodo, Phys. Status Solidi C 4, 3714 (2007).
- 9 T. Hirade, Mater. Sci. Forum 607, 232 (2009).
- 10 T. Hirade and T. Oka, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 443, 012060 (2013).
- 11 H. Saito, Y. Nagashima, T. Kurihara, and T. Hyodo, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 487, 612 (2002).
- 12 P. Kirkegaard, J. V. Olsen, M. Eldrup, and N. J. Pedersen, PALSfit: A Computer Program for Analysing Positron Lifetime Spectra, Risø-R-1652(EN), 2009.