JJAP Conf. Proc. 4, 011604 (2016) doi:10.7567/JJAPCP.4.011604
An interactive tool for sketch-based annotation
- 1Department of Computer Science, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
- 2Department of Computer Information Systems, An-Najah National University of Palestine
- 3Faculty of Informatics, Shizuoka University, Japan
- Received September 27, 2015
- PDF (728 KB) |
Annotation of Web content is becoming a widespread activity by which users appropriate and enrich information available on the Net. MADCOW (Multimedia Annotation of Digital Content Over the Web) is a system for annotating HTML pages that provides a uniform interactive paradigm to make annotations on text, images and video. MADCOW has also recently included novel features for groups and group annotations with reference to ontological domains, but interaction with the MADCOW client is currently limited to the use of common input devices (e.g., keyboard, mouse), requiring a precise selection of the portions to be annotated. In this paper we present a sketch-based interface, which can be used to annotate not only content but also aspects relative to the presentation of the information. While interacting with a standard Web browser, users can draw free-hand geometrical shapes (e.g., circles, rectangles, closed paths) for selecting specific parts of the Web pages to be annotated. The interaction mode depends on the adopted input device. For example, users interacting with touch-screen devices (e.g., smartphones, tablets) can draw shapes with their fingers, but in principle any device able to detect sketching gestures can be supported (e.g., graphic tablets, optical pens). The paper discusses interaction aspects together with an overview of the system architecture. Finally, preliminary experimental tests and some considerations on the usability are also reported.
Content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
- 1 M. Chen, D. Zhang, and L. Zhou, Decis. Support Syst. 43, 530 (2007).
- 2 M. Addisu, D. Avola, P. Bianchi, P. Bottoni, S. Levialdi, and E. Panizzi, Multimedia Information Extraction: Advances in Video, Audio, and Imagery Analysis for Search, Data Mining, Surveillance, and Authoring, 2012, p. 401.
- 3 P. Grifoni, F. Ferri, M.C. Caschera, A. D’Ulizia, and M. Mazzei, Journal of Next Generation Information Technology, 2014, p. 1.
- 4 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, A. Dafinei, and A. Labella, Proc. DMS 2011, 2011, p. 295.
- 5 J. J. Shah, N. Vargas-Hernandez, J. D. Summers, and S. Kulkarni, J. Creat. Behav. 35, 168 (2001).
- 6 D. Avola, F. Ferri, P. Grifoni, and S. Paolozzi, Proc. UNISCOM 2008, 2008, Vol. 5, p. 405.
- 7 P. R. Cohen, E. C. Kaiser, M. C. Buchanan, S. Lind, M. J. Corrigan, and R. M. Wesson, Commun. ACM 58, 56 (2015).
- 8 P. Bottoni, R. Civica, S. Levialdi, L. Orso, E. Panizzi, and R. Trinchese, Proc. AVI 2004, 2004, p. 55.
- 9 R. Kawase, E. Herder, G. Papadakis, and W. Nejdl, Proc. WEBIST 2010, 2010, Vol. 75, p. 85.
- 10 D. Bargeron, J. Grudin, A. Gupta, E. Sanocki, F. Li, and S. Leetiernan, J. Manage. Inf. Syst. 18, 117 (2002).
- 11 A. Sakar and G. Ercetin, J. Comput. Assist. Learn. 21, 28 (2005).
- 12 Y.-S. Lai, H.-H. Tsai, and P.-T. Yu, Educ. Technol. Soc. 14, 43 (2011).
- 13 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, and R. Genzone, Proc. IS-EUD 2011, 2011, Vol. 6654, p. 221.
- 14 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, S. Levialdi, and E. Panizzi, Proc. HC 2010, 2010, p. 159.
- 15 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, S. Levialdi, and E. Panizzi, Proc. AVI 2010, 2010, p. 389.
- 16 A. Hawash, In Proc. CHItaly 2013, 2013, p. 1.
- 17 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, and A. Hawash, J. Vis. Lang. Comput. 25, 695 (2014).
- 18 D. Morrison, S. Marchand-Maillet, and E. Bruno, Proc. MM 2010, 2010, p. 1557.
- 19 T. Jung, M. D. Gross, and E. Yi-Luen Do, Proc. CHI-EA 2002, 2002, p. 618.
- 20 C.-X. Ma, Y.-J. Liu, H.-A. Wang, D.-X. Teng, and G.-Z. Dai, IEEE Trans. Multimed. 14, 1153 (2012).
- 21 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, and A. Hawash, Proc. CSIT 2014, 2014, p. 100.
- 22 D. Avola, P. Bottoni, and A. Hawash, Proc. CSIT 2013, 2013, p. 38.