JJAP Conf. Proc. 5, 011302 (2017) doi:10.7567/JJAPCP.5.011302
Solid-phase synthesis of Mg2Si thin film on sapphire substrate
- Institute of Applied Beam Science, Ibaraki University, Hitachi, Ibaraki 316-8511, Japan
- Received September 14, 2016
- PDF (1.2 MB) |
Magnesium silicide (Mg2Si) is expected as a semiconductor material for thermoelectric devices though synthesis of the thin film has been difficult due to difference in thermodynamic properties of Mg and Si. The authors have succeeded in preparing a poly-crystalline Mg2Si thin film with a thickness of ~1 µm and strong (111) orientation on a sapphire substrate (r plane). The method includes sputter deposition of a Mg/Si bilayer from independent Mg and Si sources and post-annealing (2 h) in argon gas at 900 Pa. The optimum annealing temperature for the Mg2Si film synthesis is found to be 300–400 °C.
Content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
- 1 J. E. Mahan, A. Vantomme, and G. Langouche, Phys. Rev. B 54, 16965 (1996).
- 2 N. Galkin, S. Vavanova, A. Maslov, K. Galkin, A. Gerasimenko, and T. Kaidalova, Thin Solid Films 515, 8230 (2007).
- 3 Q. Xiao, Q. Xie, K. Zhao, and Z. Yu, Adv. Mater. Res. 129–131, 290 (2010).
- 4 Q. Xiao, Q. Xie, X. Shen, J. Zhang, Z. Yu, and K. Zhao, Appl. Surf. Sci. 257, 7800 (2011).
- 5 T. Kato, Y. Sago, and H. Fujiwara, J. Appl. Phys. 110, 063723 (2011).
- 6 L. Kogut and M. Record, Intermetallics 32, 184 (2013).
- 7 T. Ikehata, T. Ando, T. Yamamoto, Y. Takagi, N. Y. Sato, and H. Udono, Phys. Status Solidi C 10, 1708 (2013).
- 8 J. Hu, Y. Sato, T. Hosono, and H. Tatsuoka, Vacuum 83, 1494 (2009).
- 9 S. Onari and M. Cardona, Phys. Rev. B 14, 3520 (1976).